Living in the United States » Links to More Information on U.S. Life
- Links to More Information on U.S. Life
- Preparing for U.S. Study: A Checklist
- Questions and Answers: Cultural Concerns
- Questions and Answers: Maintaining Visa Status in the United States
- Tips on Planning Your Travel to the United States
- U.S. Life: Practical Matters
- U.S. Life: Your Rights, Health, and Safety
Links to More Information on U.S. Life
Below are links to some additional useful sources of information on U.S. life for Iranian students and scholars, all available online. See also the resources related to planning for U.S. arrival on the Visas section of this Web site.
EducationUSA. U.S. Department of State site provides information about study in the United States to prospective students living in other nations and assists them in their quest for further education.
Edupass. Information for international students on admissions, financing, visas, orientation, and more.
Hobson’s EducationUSA Guides. Developed in association with NAFSA: Association of International Educators and ETS.
Open Doors. Statistics on international student enrollment in U.S. academic programs.
- U.S. Network for Education Information. Overview of the U.S. education system as well as international exchange issues.
Practical Matters and Cultural Support/Resources
- American-Iranian Council.
- Baha’is of the United States
- Council on Islamic-American Relations.
- FarsiNet, Iranian/Persian Student Associations and Organizations.
- Iranian Student Alliance in America.
- Muslim Students Association of the United States and Canada
- National Iranian American Council
Dollar Stretcher.com. A collection of links to articles on frugal living. Topics include food, shopping, traveling, home maintenance, and education.
Fatwallet.com. Provides information and coupon codes for discounts with on-line retailers.
JourneyEd.com. Provides academic discounts of up to 85 percent off retail prices on computer, software, and consumer electronics products. Students and faculty and staff members at accredited U.S. higher education institutions are eligible to purchase.
STA Travel. Provides a discount card for students. Benefits include savings on travel arrangements, accommodations, museums, cultural events, entertainment and more.
Student Advantage. Another discount card provider. Benefits include savings on entertainment, travel, books, computer software, glasses, clothing, and more.
Young Money. Web site for national magazine written primarily by students; journalists provide a variety of money-saving ideas.
- Eat Halal.com. Site is currently being updated.
- Zabinah.com. Guide to halal restaurants, markets, and stores.
- Study Skills. From the Augustine Club, Columbia University.
- Study Strategies. From the University of Minnesota.
Major U.S. Airlines
U.S. Train Travel
U.S. Bus Travel:
How to find the Best Housing Option for You. Questions for international students to ask about universities dormitories, private rentals and family housing.
Craig’s List. Popular site for individuals to post available housing for rent or sale as well as other local products, services, and activities.
My New Place. Apartment search site.
Alternate/Budget Overnight Accommodations:
Kelley Blue Book. Information on new and used car prices.
Your Health, Rights, and Safety
American Civil Liberties Union. U.S. national, grassroots civil rights organization. Web site includes such useful material as the "Know Your Rights" brochure.
Seven Tips for Campus Safety. The fundamentals from Security on Campus, Inc.
Campus Security Data Analysis Cutting Tool Web Site. Information on reported crime on U.S. college and university campuses from the U.S. Department of Education, with tools to allow evaluation and comparison.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This U.S. government site provides extensive information on a variety of public health issues and medical conditions.
To Your Health series. Ordering information and on-line copies of two NAFSA: Association of International Educators brochures covering health and insurance issues for international students.